I haven’t blogged about any major sewing projects lately since I’ve been quite busy with fall photo sessions, and an unfinished quilt sat around until I finally got the motivation to finish it. But here are the two projects I wrapped up!
A Whale of a Quilt!
You might recognize the first based on artwork in my Etsy shop. I had inspiration to applique quilt one of my drawing/paintings to a quilt. While I’ve made a few quilts before, I hadn’t done applique quilting and I studied various methods and even tried out a couple. The quilt was made with lovely art gallery cotton which is soft and flowy. I originally planned to hire someone to long-arm quilt after I attached the whale, but that didn’t work out and I straight-line quilted myself, with the help of a walking foot.
Overall, I’m very happy with how it turned out, but there were moments where I felt discouraged with the progress. It’s a one-of-a-kind, unique quilt, inspired by my own artwork!
Oliver + S Jacket
You might recognize the second project as the Oliver + S Digital School Days Jacket. I love Oliver + S patterns and have mentioned that quite a few times on my blog. While the pattern prices are a bit more expensive relative to many other small pattern shops, the quality of the pattern is great and I’ve always found the resulting garment to fit great.
I made this jacket in 3T with a purple wool jacketing fabric that has been sitting in my stash for 2 years, and pink Cotton and Steel double gauze for the liner. The 3T is a bit big on almost 3 year old A, but it’ll probably last us through next year then. Before sewing everything up, I added decorative stitching with the Janome Magnolia to the front of the jacket which added such a great touch. Relative to the quilt, this was a much quicker sew, but I’d still put it at an intermediate level.
A’s favorite colors are pink and purple, and she helped pick out the buttons herself, so she better like it even though it doesn’t have Anna, Elsa, Minnie Mouse, or My Little Ponies on it!